SnipSVG

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Frost

SnipSVG

Unread post by Tim Frost »

If this is not the place for comments on the Beta, please redirect! I like what I see in the Beta, and welcome what seems to be an excellent way to bring SVG to this party. But without one feature that I have not found, I may have to stick with the disadvantages of Snagit. Is there going to be a way to obfuscate. pixelate, or blur a small area of a screen shot? Or have I not yet searched for the right word to describe this?

I frequently need to use in our help files a real screen form from a test application, and if it contains real credentials, I need to cover them, but still leave an impression of some text below. Could there be an option to add obfuscation as a rectangle or shape fill, with variable opacity and selectable types of pre-defined content? I see there is already an image fill, but this involves more work to find an image of the right size, content and shape for each such item. And some preliminary work to design them.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: SnipSVG

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tim,

We're going to open up a separate forum section after the release. Until then, posting here is fine.
Is there going to be a way to obfuscate. pixelate, or blur a small area of a screen shot? Or have I not yet searched for the right word to describe this?
This is not only already there, it is particularly secure. Double-click on the bitmap to activate cropping and editing mode, then select the Effect tab on the right. Click on Add Effect in the box below and select Blur or Pixelate. This opens up an effect shape over the image, which you can then adjust.

When the image is saved as an SVG or any other format, the image effects are physically baked into the image, not just added as an overlay. So even as an SVG, there's no way to deconstruct the image and recover the blurred or pixelated data.

You're right that this is an important function and should be made more prominent. I'm going to add a separate topic on it before the release. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.