Embedded pdf files not loading into pdf output document

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Mark_Farrell

Embedded pdf files not loading into pdf output document

Unread post by Mark_Farrell »

I'm finding that when loading third party OEM manuals into a overall manual that I'm creating. Some of them are not being embedded.

The compiler is not showing any issues, with any of these links, such as not in the project search path, etc.

These tend to be larger pdf files. 28,586 Kb for example.

Other embedded files either side within the listing will embed with no problems.

Has anybody got any ideas on how to overcome this issue please?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Embedded pdf files not loading into pdf output document

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Mark,

You don't say how you are including these documents: Are you embedding them directly in the flow of the original document as PDF snippets, or are you embedding hidden within the PDF for display with links? It sounds more like the latter. As a general principle, I would recommend against trying to create a single PDF with other documents of that size embedded within it.

With documents of this size it would be much better to have them as separate external PDF documents in the same location that you link to from the original document. PDF is still only raw printer data saved in a file and displayed on the screen with a printer driver (that is what a PDF viewer is), and however much Adobe tries to disguise this fact, it was never going to be good at this kind of interactivity.

One thing you might want to check is whether the documents that don't embed have spaces or any other kinds of special characters in their names. But generally, just keep larger documents external and link to them. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Mark_Farrell

Hi Tim,

A colleague instructed me to just copy and paste the pdf files, and drop them into a topic page.

When this occurs, it creates a file link (hyperlink) to the location of the file.

If I click on the "link icon", the file link is shown of the file name: section.

Caption box fiild has the file name
Tootip field is empty
Style is 'link'
Other fields are empty
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

If you link to a PDF with a file link and want to embed it, you also need to activate the embedding option for *.pdf in Configuration > Publishing > PDF Layout. For example, if you want to embed, PDF, DOCX, and XLS files, the entry for the file link embedding should be (note the commas!):

Code: Select all

*.pdf, *.docx, *.xls
If this isn't set then the file link will link to the external file, which must then be available in the same folder as the PDF containing the link when the user views it.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Mark_Farrell

Hi Tim,

Yep, I had done that,

Some pdf files are linked, while others are not.

But in the publisher complier report, there are no issues listed.

When going to the published document, most linked pdf files have yellow icons and can be opened, while others have no icons and therefore do not open.

WBR
Tim Green
Site Admin

Mark_Farrell wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:44 pm Some pdf files are linked, while others are not.
When going to the published document, most linked pdf files have yellow icons and can be opened, while others have no icons and therefore do not open.
I'm guessing that you actually mean embedded in the PDF here when you write "linked", and not hyperlinks to external files at runtime on the user's end. We need to have a look at this. Please send the following to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) so that we can check it directly:
  • A small demo project with which you can reproduce the issue, in single-file .hmxz format.
  • One or two PDF files that will not embed.
  • The .mnl PDF template file you are using.
Regards,

Private support: