No SVG animation in eWriter output?

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Gerold Krommer

No SVG animation in eWriter output?

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

Hi,

The tip about being able to insert animated svg in SnipSVG cought my eyes and so I was experimenting with it as I feel it could really spice up things.

I included a spinning gear on top of a screenshot and included this in a H&M project (lastest release).
To my surprise there was no animation in eWriter output, I though this is just HTML in a wrapper and the eReader is a kind of browser...

In webhelp, however, everything looks ok.

Is this supposed to work?

Kind regards,

Gerold
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: No SVG animation in eWriter output?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gerold,
Is this supposed to work?
Unfortunately, no: This is because the only universally available WebView component in Windows for rendering HTML is still based on Internet Explorer -- and not even the latest version of that. The WebView2 component is based on the Chromium/Blink engine that is also used in MS Edge and Google Chrome, and that does have full support for current SVG standards. Unfortunately, Microsoft hasn't rolled out WebView2 completely. If we switch eViewer to WebView2 prematurely, it will stop working for many end users, and we feel that would be more of a problem than failure of some advanced features like SVG animation. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Simon_Dismore

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

Tim Green wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 am The WebView2 component is based on the Chromium/Blink engine that is also used in MS Edge and Google Chrome, and that does have full support for current SVG standards. Unfortunately, Microsoft hasn't rolled out WebView2 completely. If we switch eViewer to WebView2 prematurely, it will stop working for many end users, and we feel that would be more of a problem than failure of some advanced features like SVG animation. :?
Can you bundle WebView2 with eViewer per Distribute your app and the WebView2 Runtime?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Can you bundle WebView2 with eViewer per Distribute your app and the WebView2 Runtime?
It's a little problematic because of its size (over 150mb) and the need to continue supporting the EXE eWriter version as well, with the viewer embedded in the help file. WebView2 is now rolling out slowly in Windows 10 as well, and at the moment we prefer to wait until that is pretty much universal -- particularly as the IE 11 rendering engine in the standard WebView still covers pretty much everything except a couple of edge cases like this.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Gerold Krommer

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

First completely subjective and unsubstantiated impression : Much faster...

KR,

Gerold