Compiler Messages undefined topic

This is the place for questions on using Impict, Help & Manual's integrated screenshot editor and enhancer.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

fuochi

Compiler Messages undefined topic

Unread post by fuochi »

hello,

I have an Impict image which has 2 sorts of links (Hotspost Type = Topic link) :
- internal links to the hm3 document
- external links to an other hm3 document

when compiling the hm3 file in "HTML HELP" the compiler indicates the following error : Image "MyImage.ipp" in topic "MyTopic" references an undefined topic: "ExternalTopicID". The link is ignored.

did anyone experience the same problem and solve it ?

thanks in advance
Best Regards,
Fuochi Cedric
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

The "Lookup topic IDs from help project" option in the Impict hotspot dialog box is a little confusing -- it will look up the topics in the project currently open in H&M (or projects, if you have more than one instance of H&M running) but it doesn't actually create an external link; it always assumes that the topic you are linking to is in the same project as the image containing the hotspot.

To create a hotspot to a topic in another CHM file you need to use a macro hotspot with the following HTML code::

Code: Select all

ms-its:otherhelpfile.chm::/othertopic.htm#anchor

The "anchor" entry is only necessary if you are linking to an anchor in the target topic, of course. The other help file must be in the same folder/directory as the help file containing the image with the hotspot making the call. Don't try to put the other help file somewhere else and use paths in the code -- this will fail on many user's systems!
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
fuochi

Unread post by fuochi »

thanks for the reply it works

an other question is, how to do the same link when compiling PDF files ?

must I create a new IPP image for each compilation I want to do ?
Best Regards,
Fuochi Cedric
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

fuochi wrote:an other question is, how to do the same link when compiling PDF files ?
Links to external files are not supported in PDF.
Must I create a new IPP image for each compilation I want to do ?
You can reuse the image with the ms-its: macro as often as you like, provided you are using it to link to an external help file. If you want to use the same image to link to a topic in the same project in which the image is located you must make another version with a hotspot using a normal topic link.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.