Worm attack may close forum temporarily

This section is for questions relating to using the forum. Announcements on updates and any issues with the forum software may also be posted here occasionally.

Moderator: Tim Green

Tim Green
Site Admin

Worm attack may close forum temporarily

Unread post by Tim Green »

A new worm called Santy.A is currently taking down thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands) of forums all over the world. H&M Forums has been under attack constantly since December 23 and I am currently registering over 2500 attack attempts every day. (The BBC article linked to above is actually out of date -- the situation currently seems to be getting worse, not better.)

So far I have successfully managed to keep the forum both safe and running with software patches and by other means that I am not going to discuss here, for obvious reasons... :twisted:

This positive situation may not continue, however. It has just been reported that a new version of the worm that can successfully attack the updated versions of the phpBB forum software has been released, and the first forums have already been taken down by this new version.

I am monitoring the situation constantly (just what I wanted to do over Christmas... :frustration: ) and will try to keep the forum up and running as long as possible. However, if it looks like the new version is spreading and really taking down protected forums as well in a big way I will close the forum until the problem has been corrected.

Even if the forum does get hacked before I do this we won't lose more than a couple of the very newest posts. I'm making backups at very short intervals, so as soon as the problem is resolved I will be able to get the forum back up and running again quickly.

Sorry for any inconvenience! 8)

Informal Poll:
Does anybody have any creative suggestions for what to do with the cretins responsible for Santy.A when they are caught? :twisted:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Does anybody have any creative suggestions
Human spam filter for support (at) ec-software.com, 24/7 a lifetime.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Alexander Halser wrote:Human spam filter for support (at) ec-software.com, 24/7 a lifetime.
I was thinking more along the lines of candidates for laboratory experiments on chip-brain interfaces, so that the scientists don't have to use worms and toads any more... :wink:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Ok. I'll forward them to you when they are worn out and brain-dead from spam filtering.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH