Shortcut key for paragraph styles vs. anchors

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Frost

Shortcut key for paragraph styles vs. anchors

Unread post by Tim Frost »

First congratulations on the new release! Only a few small niggles to report. The first one is a problem with setting a paragraph style on a paragraph which starts with an anchor. Pressing the shortcut key with the cursor at the start of the paragraph does not seem to propagate beyond the anchor. When the cursor is moved into the paragraph text, the old style name is still shown. The workaround is to press the shortcut key twice, since for the second press the cursor will be at the end of the paragraph.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

This is normal behavior -- as far as the editor is concerned an anchor is a separate object that is not part of the paragraph, so to format a paragraph with a style you need to place the cursor in or at the end of the paragraph, or select the entire paragraph.

If you are used to editing with word processors like Word you will find a few differences that you will need to get used to at first. This is because the new editor is oriented primarily towards HTML and XHTML based output formats, where content is much more "fluid" than in a word processor.

For example, you will find that you cannot select or format paragraph end marks (which you can display with the paragraph tool in the toolbar). This is because unlike a word processor, H&M does not store formatting in the paragraph end marks -- instead all the formatting and styles are directly associated with all the text. (This is covered in the help.)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Frost

Unread post by Tim Frost »

OK, thanks for the explanation. I have already got used to the editing style (perhaps because I never use Word if I can help it!).