Want Copy Protection for eBooks?

This section is for questions relating to using the forum. Announcements on updates and any issues with the forum software may also be posted here occasionally.

Moderator: Tim Green

Do you want copy-protected eBooks?

I don't use H&M for generating eBooks
50%
I use H&M for eBooks and am satisfied with the capabilities
2%
I would consider producing eBooks if they could be unlocked with a simple registration key (individual password)
43%
I would only use eBooks if they had full-featured copy protection including optional hardware locking
5%

Total votes: 58

Tim Green
Site Admin

Want Copy Protection for eBooks?

Unread post by Tim Green »

eBooks can currently be copy-protected on CDs but the system is a little cumbersome. This week's question is, would you be interested in a full, industrial-strength copy protection scheme for eBooks?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Kathy K

my two-cents as an e-book maker

Unread post by Kathy K »

In the poll I had to fib because I do produce ebooks already. Fortunately for me, most of my audience has enough trouble ordering, downloading, unzipping, and opening the book (tennis players and writers). So, I worry little about copyright violations. (In fact at this point, some amount of it would actually help spread the word about the books.)

I love PDF, and I love H&M for making these books. But I have been waiting for better copy protection as the book gets more popular. Simple, simple, simple please. Computer savvy users are touchy when copyright protection starts controlling their machine, and computer newbies are put off by mystification.

It needn't make copyright infringement impossible -- just very unlikely for most users.
Kathy K
www.operationdoubles.com
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Kathy,

Thanks a lot for your feedback! And yes, we agree absolutely with you about how copy protection should be implemented -- we would definitely make it as simple and transparent as possible.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.