Searching Forums

This section is for questions relating to using the forum. Announcements on updates and any issues with the forum software may also be posted here occasionally.

Moderator: Tim Green

bobf

Searching Forums

Unread post by bobf »

This will probably be a dumb question but here goes anyway....

When I run a forum search which retrieves a list of posts and then look at one of the posts, when I click the back button I get a "page cannot be displayed" error. I then need to click back again to start over by re entering the search terms. Very painful. :(

Any ideas as to the cause of the problem?

Bob
Martin Wynne

Re: Searching Forums

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

bobf wrote:I then need to click back again to start over by re entering the search terms.
Hi Bob,

When clicking on one of the search results, hold down the Shift key on the
keyboard. The new page will open in a separate window. When you close it,
you will still have the search results showing.

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Bob,

Welcome to the world of dynamically-generated web pages! :) This is a general problem on many dynamic websites and the phpBB forum software is no exception. The trick is to open the topics found in a new window or tab (if your browser supports tabbed browsing) so that you leave your search list intact. This allows you to return to it again and again until you're through.

Depending on your browser there are a number of different ways to do this: All browsers support right-clicking -- then you just select Open in New Page/Tab from the popup menu. Most browsers also support SHIFT+Click to open in a new page, and many will also open in a new page if you click with the center button or mouse wheel if you have a three button or wheel mouse.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.