wrap/hyphenation problem... what am I doing wrong?

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Morten Lyng

wrap/hyphenation problem... what am I doing wrong?

Unread post by Morten Lyng »

Hi guys,

can't figure this one out....

My output formats are PDF and browser-based, but I have not checked if this is an issue with browser-based, but it is with the PDF.

I assumed that having "-"s (dashes/hyphens) in text would cause the text to wrap at that point if needed. But it seems that it does not. I have two instances (see screenshot below).

I wrote a number of "testtesttesttesttest"' separated by spaces. I then compiled and could see that there should be room for parts of the 4th instance of this, so I put in "-" between each "test".... and expected that some parts would go on the first line and others would wrap to next line. But all of "4test-test-test-test-test" breaks to next line, even though there is plenty of space for about half of it......

I also have content in a 3 column table (middle column is for space between the other two. Again, I put in a lot of "-"s, but it breaks up in the middle of "test" with "3te" on one line and "st" on the next. Again, it seems that it does not use the "-" as "wrap-points"...

what am I doing wrong here? I do not expect H&M to correctly hyphenate long words, but if I put in "-"s to help it, it should....or?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Morten,

Actually, hyphens should work in PDF. However, I just tested it and I can't get them to break. Alex just tested it and he said that they break on his system. I'm sending him a test topic and we'll see where we go from there. :?

Hyphens should break normally in HTML, although this will depend on the user's browser. Some break, others don't.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Morten,

OK, the reason for the sometimes break/sometimes not is now clear: The hyphens break when the text is Unicode but they don't when it isn't. This doesn't mean you should set your project to output only Unicode, however -- it would probably make output quite a bit larger unnecessarily, as Unicode stores characters with two bytes instead of one. The problem is being investigated. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Epohl

Unicode

Unread post by Epohl »

Forcing the Unicode does not solve this problem.
Morten Lyng

Re: Unicode

Epohl wrote:Forcing the Unicode does not solve this problem.
That's right - forcing the Unicode does not make stuff wrap on manually inserted hyphens - just ignores it completely.
Morten Lyng

Any news on this? I just tested this on the 4.1.0 build 849.

It still does not work. If I throw this "test-test-test-test-test-test" into a table column, it does not wrap using the "-"s. :cry:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Morten,

The problem is on the list and will hopefully be dealt with in the next maintenance update. Seems to be knotty...
Regards,

Private support:
Hal Heindel

Unread post by Hal Heindel »

I'm running into a related problem not with hyphens, but with widowed commas. In other words, a comma attached to the end of a word becomes detached from the word and is placed at the beginning of the next line.

What I get, in effect, is this:
What I get, in effect
, is this.

I don't know whether this happens only in a browser or for .pdf files as well. So far I've only encountered it with HTML. Not that it would solve this particular problem, but is there any way hyphenation can be turned off?
Hal Heindel
http://www.printfire.com
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

I don't know whether this happens only in a browser or for .pdf files as well. So far I've only encountered it with HTML.
HTML must not be concerned! When the HTML code is rendered, the browser is responsible for word breaks.

However, the detaching of commas and periods from the word before is a known problem. It's an oddity of the current version of the text editor that we use in H&M: if the comma is formatted differently than the word before, it's considered a separate "word" and may break to the next line. This only affects the editor at design time and when you print the manual or export it to PDF. The only solution is currently to include the comma into the format. Changed formatting is any break in the formatting (a bold word, a link, etc.).
Hal Heindel

Unread post by Hal Heindel »

Good to know! Thank you, Alexander, for the reassurance.
Ingrid

hyphenation, word wrap problems

Unread post by Ingrid »

I have the same problem with a word breaking at the apostrophe. The word 'let's' is breaking compiling as let
's. Is this part of the same issue?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Ingrid,

Yes, this is the same issue -- it affects all non-alpha characters. We're "working" on the editor programmers to come up with a fix, they've assured us that something will be forthcoming before the end of the year. :?
Regards,

Private support: