Impict: change size of "canvas"

This is the place for questions on using Impict, Help & Manual's integrated screenshot editor and enhancer.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave G

Impict: change size of "canvas"

Unread post by Dave G »

[This may already be in Impict, but I cannot find it.]

Background: after using screen capture to capture a full application screen at 50%, I'd like a way to add "canvas" or "paper" space around the outside of the original bitmap.

That way, I could put callouts, magnifications or text on the new "canvas" area around the screen capture without obscuring the screen image.

This might be added to Object > Edit Properties.

It's non-trivial, because it needs input boxes for the new "paper" size, and you probably need to create a dropdown for choice of placement for the original image, something like:
Top Center
Centered
Bottom Center
Top Left
Center Left
Bottom Left
Top Right
Center Right
Bottom Left

Although it may not be the perfect model, the implementation of this idea in Corel PhotoPaint also includes a small preview and a color chooser for the "paper" color, as well as giving the values of the original image.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

You can do this in "Properties.." in the "File" menu. Just reset the image size, this will resize the canvas.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave G

Thanks

Unread post by Dave G »

Thanks - this will save much time in the future.

(I find it odd that it's on the File menu -- previously, I spent a lot of time trying to do this with the Object > Edit Properties, which is where I would expect to edit properties...)
:wink:
Dave
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

I find it odd that it's on the File menu -- previously, I spent a lot of time trying to do this with the Object > Edit Properties, which is where I would expect to edit properties...
At first glance it looks like that but it's actually logical if you think about how an Impict file works. The "file" is basically an empty "container" for the objects or layers, including the "main" object, which is generally your screenshot. Thus, resizing the canvas actually means resizing the "file", or the container for the bitmaps and other objects it contains.

This fact has several useful consequences. For example, if you keep a copy of your screenshot as a BMP or other bitmap file you can update or edit the screenshot bitmap without having to redo your objects or lose your layers in the Impict file (providing their content doesn't have to change too).

Just edit or remake the screenshot bitmap (keeping the dimensions the same, of course), delete the old bitmap layer in Impict and then insert the new version with the bitmap object tool. Bingo. :wink:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.