Lower-Casing of images seems to fail in Build 1014

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

T. Abeln

Lower-Casing of images seems to fail in Build 1014

Unread post by T. Abeln »

Hi Tim, hi Alex,

I remember we had such an issue in the late "Tigereye-Betatest-Days": We installed Build 1014 this morning and now H&M doesnt convert imagenames to lowercase anymore. The imagename in the html code is lower-cased, and as you know this combination causes problems on case-sensitive web servers.

We'll switch back to the latest 'official' build, no problem.
T. Abeln

Hello again,

just checked RC 2 and the images still don't get converted to lowercases ...

Will this be corrected in the final release?
Regards,
Thorsten
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for reporting this. I just checked it and you're right, it will be corrected asap.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
T. Abeln

Hi Tim,

I just recognized that in the current (?) official build 1051 the image-files still/again don't get converted to lowercases. We now have the same problem than described above.

Any hint for me about a small tool which helps me to convert filenames from upper- to lowercase? I'll check if irfanview can do that...
Regards,
Thorsten
Tim Green
Site Admin

Thorsten,

Hmm... that really should have been fixed, something appears to be wrong.

The best tool I know for doing multi-file case changes and renaming (and hundreds of other things too) is the file manager Total Commander from http://www.ghisler.com/ It has a brilliant multi-file rename tool, an excellent FTP client built in that's fine for most practical needs and makes Windows Explorer unnecessary with a Norton Commander style two-window interface. It's always the first program I install after installing Windows. I don't think I've used Windows Explorer more than once a month for the last five years or so. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
T. Abeln

Thank you! I just ask myself if Help & Manual bothers when I suddenly 'rename' an image file which is already referenced in the hmx-file ...?

I just made a quick test and it worked, but would you recommend to help myself this way? I don't want to correct a bug with creating new ones... if you know what I mean.
Regards,
Thorsten
Tim Green
Site Admin

Thorsten,

Once the files are in the HTML output folder they are "out" and H&M no longer touches them again nor knows anything about them. If the references to the images in the HTML code is lower-cased all you are doing by correcting the filenames is fixing the problem. :)
Regards,

Private support:
T. Abeln

Ah, gotcha.

Actually I planned to do it the other way around: I wanted to correct the filenames in the images folder so that all images currently used in our help projects are lowercased. We use "delete all files in target folder" quite frequently so I thought this way I would be on the save side.

And that's where my question comes from: When I already have a reference to the image "/MyProjects/images/Auto.jpg" and rename the file to "auto.jpg", will Help & Manual be able to handle that? And even change the reference so that it fits again? This seemed to work, but I just tested it between 500 other things. And since it might took a while until the official 4.2 release is updated I just look for a quick yet enduring way to solve this problem. Because right now, I cannot give permission to install 4.2 due to this bug because hundreds of images would be suddenly missing in the output...
Regards,
Thorsten
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Thorsten,

Yes, this will work because filenames in Windows are not case-sensitive. And since Help & Manual lowercases the filenames in your code on export anyway it doesn't matter that they have mixed-case names in the references in your topics.

Theoretically you could export everything to a single XML file and lowercase all the file references using an editor that supports complex search and replace, but that would really only be cosmetic. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
T. Abeln

Perfect - thank you, Tim!
Regards,
Thorsten