Using the configuration file with Trados
To make the Help & Manual INI file available for Trados, perform the following steps:
- Download the file attached to this posting
- Unpack the archive and copy the INI file into your Trados folder, for instance c:\Program Files\SDL International\T2006\TT
- Open the Trados tag editor
- Click Tools, then Tag Settings, then press the Open button
- Locate the file HelpAndManual for SDL Trados.ini and add it to the tag files list
Translation with the Trados TagEditor
Most of the XML tags are self-explanatory. There are, however, a few possible caveats:
In general, you translate only text between tags, you never translate any attributes of the tags.
The XML tag <caption> which is used for image captions is formatted as "CDATA". This XML formatting option retains line breaks. While the tag in the Trados tag editor is appropriately defined as "CDATA", Trados still displays the formatting brackets around the text. This looks like:
Code: Select all
Translation of the main XML file (<projectname>.xml): This file contains many configuration settings from the Project > Properties dialog. Some of them are translatable, some are not. Whether you can/must translate a setting, depends on the attribute of the tag: all translatable tags have the attribute translate="true".
So, if you aren't sure how to proceed with a particular tag, switch to the full tag view in Trados, to reveal the attributes.