Custom Build Display Text doesn't reflect change

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Byron S.

Custom Build Display Text doesn't reflect change

Unread post by Byron S. »

Lack of foresight has again sunk its incisors into my posterior region. And I need to change my Custom Builds.

I edited my Custom Builds in the Project Properties window (ex. I changed "RUI_Chess-Enabled" to simply "RUI_Chess". The changed value appears in both the Project Properties and Edit Text Condition windows. However, when I insert a conditional text statement using the edited tag, the original value still appears in the editor.

I accept that all the conditional statements created with the original value will need to be manually updated because, according to the H&M Help, (regarding Deleting a Custom Build, "Note that Help & Manual does not check whether you have used the include option in your project when you do this! Undefined include option tags used in your topics will still be functional"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Byron,

Actually, Help & Manual is behaving exactly as it should. What you are editing is only the tag description, and what is displayed in the editor is the tag name, which you cannot change. If you could change it, it would cause all kinds of nasty errors with existing tags. I'm afraid you're going to have to either live with the long names or create new tags and apply them... :x

One thing I often miss is a search function to find where I have applied build conditions within my project -- this would also make this kind of update a lot easier.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Byron S.

Unread post by Byron S. »

Thanks Tim. I had thought that maybe changing the tag's description might trigger a search/replace function where the application updated all the existing descriptions with the new one.

However, the Project Properties window does have a column labeled "Display Text". I interpreted Display Text to be what would be displayed in the Editor when the custom build was applied.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Byron,

"Display Text" is what you see in the dialogs to select the tags, for example in Topic Options and Insert Conditional Text. It allows you to have a more descriptive name that is easier to identify while you are working. The condition name should be as short as possible, because that is what is displayed in the actual tags.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dean Whitlock

Unread post by Dean Whitlock »

Tim,

I don't see why there has to be both a Tag ID and a Display Text. If there was only a Tag ID and it was used also as the Display Text, then you could change the Tag ID and the change would propagate to all uses in the project. I think this is what you would normally want to happen. It's certainly what I would normally want to happen.

Alternatively (Martin, note the word usage ;-> ), you could prompt the user at the time they changed the Display Text and give them the option to have it propagated througout the project, with appropriate warnings.

Dean
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Dean,
Dean Whitlock wrote:Alternatively (Martin, note the word usage ;-> )
Thank you! :)

It's interesting that on Google Groups, at least here in the UK, the text "Your message will appear momentarily" has recently been changed to "Your message will appear in a moment". So there is intelligent life on Earth after all! :D

Martin.