Launching a browser-based help file from within WinZip®

This section is for announcements, information and discussions relating to the help community -- for example news about events and seminars of interest, developments in help technology and so on.

Moderator: Tim Green

David Johns

Launching a browser-based help file from within WinZip®

Unread post by David Johns »

I would like to launch a browser-based help file from within a WinZip® archive. The reason for doing this is that I want to use the encryption facility of the WinZip® program to provide password access to the help file, without having to set up the server (which is not under my control) for password access.

I've been able to launch an encrypted compiled HTML help file from within WinZip® and hoped to do the same with a browser-based help file. I had assumed that opening the file index.html would launch the whole browser but I just get a couple of empty windows.

I'm just an author and not familiar with the subtleties involved here. Am I trying for the impossible or is there a way around the problem?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

I suggest contacting the WinZip programmers for help on this. Basically you will encounter the same problem with any website stored inside an WinZip archive and it may or may not be possible.

However, before you get your hopes up remember that ZIP is a universal format -- at least unless you use WinZip's annoying new version of ZIP that doesn't work with anything else in the known universe -- and that not all users use WinZip. So even if you do get it working with WinZip it will fail on most other users' systems... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.