Anchor bug in latest version of Firefox?

This section is for questions relating to using the forum. Announcements on updates and any issues with the forum software may also be posted here occasionally.

Moderator: Tim Green

Martin Wynne

Anchor bug in latest version of Firefox?

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

There seems to be a bug in the latest version of Firefox which not only affects this forum, it also makes Browser-based Help look broken for users.

If a page contains an anchor below several images, and the page is not in Firefox's cache, Firefox fails to position the page correctly at the anchor. Doing a reload clears the problem and the page then positions correctly.

It seems that Firefox is initially calculating the anchor position too soon -- before all the images have loaded and the page has been laid out accordingly.

For example, try clicking this in Firefox (which should go to the final message in the topic, from Dean):

http://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewtop ... 0685#20685

If you then click Reload, the page re-positions correctly. Other browsers seem to be working correctly first time.

This bug is extremely irritating when trying to use the Search results on the forum. I hope Firefox fix it soon. H&M users may want to add a note about it in your Browser-based Help output, otherwise Firefox users are not going to be too impressed with the way your Help file works.

regards,

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Martin,

I can only reproduce this on Firefox on the Mac. On Windows it works fine first time, even if I only just started Firefox. It's definitely a Firefox bug, however -- the links on the forum and in H&M are coded correctly. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
waldemar.hersacher

Unread post by waldemar.hersacher »

The bug exists on Windows too. The first time I clicked the link in Martin's post it was mispositioned. I closed the tab and the second time it was ok.
I closed the tab again and I cleared the cache of the browser. After clicking on the link Firefox positioned to the right text. I can see it. And while downloading all the graphical elements the position rolls away especially after the embedded picture in a reply somewhere above was downloaded.

I used Windows XP SP2 and Firefox 2.0.0.6.
Waldemar