Links to popups not generated by HM5

Please post all new bug reports for Help & Manual 5 here.
SGIRA

Links to popups not generated by HM5

Unread post by SGIRA »

Running HM5 Build 549

When I do a WebHelp build of imported HM4 project. All popup links gernerate an href link to a ....HTM file, instead on the index reference to the project popup file. Result is all popups are dead. Not that I want them to be, but the ...HTM files referenced by the popups are not gererated either.

Javascript popups are selected in Publishing Options-Webhelp-Popups.

This is with the SGIRA project previously sent to support.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Quote: Thomas Alva Edison
When inventing the filament for the light-bulb. :idea:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Popup links are working fine in your project - I couldn't find any directly so I created a couple myself. It wasn't possible to do extensive tests because all many the project modules referenced in your project are missing, but as long as I create a link to a topic with the class "Popup" it is displayed correctly as a JavaScript popup in the output. If you are still having the issue I need a small demo project that can be compiled quickly for testing -- your current project that we have here is much too large for this kind of quick test.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
SGIRA

Must Set Build Include Options

Unread post by SGIRA »

Not really, if you create a popup to an existing "Invisible" topic, you will get the results I mentioned. The reason appears to be that, when imported, these topics do not have an "Include" option set. So implicit reference as a popup does not work in a way that the topic is inserted in the sgria_popup_html.js file. Unless a build Include is set that matches the build type selected. This differs from HM4, where a TOC topic popup reference was sufficient to cause the popup topic to be included in the 'popup_html.js file (implicit export). Though I have my issues with "unlimited" implicit exports. This behavior is different. I just did a build with all the RTF file topics marked with include options, and popups are working as before. Is this the intended behavior?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

This problem can be solved very easily, it is caused by the different handling of implicitly compiled topics. In HM4 all topics that were excluded but referenced by links were automatically compiled to prevent dead links. Many users did not like that, so this was made an option in HM5. You can now choose what you want to do with such topics: You can exclude them and leave dead links, include them implicitly (HM4 behavior) or turn the links into plain text.

To access these settings go to View - Program Options - Compilers and choose "Export excluded topics if referenced by another topic", that will solve your problem. Ideally, however, it would be better to include all topics that you are really using.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
SGIRA

Unread post by SGIRA »

Thanks Tim,
Confirmed. This is good to know. Since I previously had problems with "implicit' export, it is great to be able to "toggle" this, in some way. It would be nice though if this parameter were available as a build option. 8)

Thanks for your usual quick response, and assistance. :D

Regards,
Tom