CHM sharing violation

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main H&M forums on topic! If you have anything else you want to share, on any subject whatsoever, please post it here!

Moderator: Tim Green

Davem

CHM sharing violation

Unread post by Davem »

I maintain a set of HTML Help files accessed by our intranet users from a series of netware file servers. When I make changes to the content I copy the new version of a .chm file from my PC to each server, often using a batch file that copies all .chms to all servers.

Recently I have been experiencing sharing violation errors during the updates. These can only be overcome by our network support guys removing the locks. I tried doing the updates outside of office hours, but the errors still occur.

I thought that when a .chm was opened the entire file was loaded into memory. In that case I'd expect the file to be closed once read, so no sharing violation should occur. Am I wrong?

I'd expect this behaviour if, for example, someone was editing a MS Word file and I tried to overwrite it, but not with a file format that is effectively read-only.

Does anyone know how or why a .chm file would be locked?