Version Control Exception

Please post all new bug reports for Help & Manual 5 here.
Eric Thorniley

Version Control Exception

Unread post by Eric Thorniley »

I have a problem with V5.1.0.730 whne trying to connect via SCC to StarTeam. The SCC works with other programs (e.g. Enterprise Architect) but as soon as I try to connect with H&M I get an exception - and it kills the H&M process.

Exception dialog image attached.

Regards

Eric Thorniley
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Just for the sake of being sure where the error comes from: could you please temporarily remove this DLL from the installation folder of Help & Manual?

The DLL "ECIMPPSD.DLL" has nothing to do with version control. It is an additional library to implement support for Adobe Photoshop images in H&M. If the DLL is not there, H&M will ignore it.

But I suspect that you will get another error in a different DLL after removing it.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Eric Thorniley

VCS

After removing tthe DLL the app just exits as soon as I try to attach to the VCS in any way (load or save project, and givien the options of Check VCS System and Next - either causes the issue.

I'm wondering whether it could be down to speed. The Starteam SCC support has to load the java runtime before it can do anything, so it might take a while.

I'll investigate some more after Xmas. Have a good holiday!

Eric
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Eric,

Please do let us know your results. It would be helpful if you could send them directly to support at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @). Happy New Year!
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Eric Thorniley

Re: Version Control Exception

Almost 2 years later...

Borland have now released a free 10-user version of StarTeam as StarTeam Express - and I still had the same problem with it. You have to install the SCC integration that comes with it - but you then get the error message as previously posted.

The fix is far from obvious, so here for anyone else that wants it is what to do:

Create a text file called sdkapp.ini containing the following lines:

Code: Select all

[Java VM]
Name=Sun1.5.0_09
Place this in the main program directory for Help & Manual. Typically this will be C:\Program Files\EC Software\HelpAndManual5 or C:\Program Files (x86)\EC Software\HelpAndManual5.

Look in Program Files\Borland\Java or Program Files (x86)\Borland\Java on a 64 bit Windows to see whether you already have a folder called Sun1.5.0_09.

If not take the following steps:

1. Download the 32 bit Java run time code version 1.5.0.09 from the Oracle/Sun Java site. I found it at http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2 ... index.html (Download JRE)

2. Select Custom Installation when installing it. Change the destination to Program Files\Borland\Java\Sun1.5.0_09 or Program Files (x86)\Borland\Java\Sun1.5.0_09 as appropriate for your machine. Deselect the options to use this in Internet Explorer or Mozilla/Netscape. (You should have a more recent version installed for that.)

3. Edit the java.ini file in the ....\Borland\Java folder by adding a section :

Code: Select all

[Sun1.5.0_09]
folder=Sun1.5.0_09
vendor=Sun Microsystems
version=1.5.0_09
exe=bin\javaw.exe
dll=bin\client\jvm.dll
Now it should work!

This is a somewhat modified version of some Borland instructions for Beyond Compare which can check files in and out of version control. The Borland instructions are hard to find and require you to have access to a StarTeam 2006 installer to get the correct Java version - but that is probably not available to you.

Eric
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Version Control Exception

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot for posting this, I'm sure it will be useful and I've also passed the information on to our developers. If you like, you might consider posting a copy in the Tips & Tricks section. More users are likely to find it there later, postings inside threads tend to get "lost" after a while. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.