Trouble using multi-user edit with VCS connected

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Richard,

Important correction: A "Put" is only performed when you actually save your project (automatic mode) or when you check in the topic (manual mode). Moving away from a topic does not perform a Put as I originally wrote above. This means that you must either save your project (automatic mode) or check the topic back in (manual mode) for other users to be able to see your edits and access the topic.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Richard Shaw

Unread post by Richard Shaw »

Hi Tim,
I've been trying out the Beta of 5.0.3 and it seems to work much better for source control use but I have come across a few issues:

When using automatic check-in/check-out files updated by another user are checked-out and the updated version is copied to the local project but H & M won't reload the topic even though it is asking me if I would like to. It does reload correctly when using manual check-in/check-out.

When saving a project with automatic check-in turned on it seems to take a very long time, as if the whole project is being refreshed.

There doesn't seem to be a facility to add "check-in" comments either for automatic or manual check-in.

For ease of use, it would be nice to have automatic check-outs, but manual check-ins. This would allow the project to be saved regularly during editing sessions without the delay associated with checking in the updates and would reduce the number of versions created in the sourcesafe database.

I wasn't sure this was the right place to report these issues, but I couldn't see a thread for Beta issues.

Regards,
Richard
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for the report, that's very helpfl -- I've asked the development team to have a look and it and they should be responding shortly.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
gk

Unread post by gk »

Hello Tim,

I've been trying the 5.30 beta too, as far as I can see it does solve most of the problems. However, just as Richard noted, saving takes a very large period of time. It took about 20 minutes for a Project with 757 topics when clicking the save button (without having made a single change in one of the topics).

Hopefully you will find a solution for this, because it would diminish the positive effect of the changes you made in the Get latest process...

(Either way, we are pleased you have looked into the problems we encountered)

Kind regards,
Gerwin
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Gerwin,

These issues are currently being investigated -- this is also the reason for the small delay in the release of version 5.3. Sorry about that, but we want to get this right before we loose it on the world... :)
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Gerwin, Richard,

It would be very helpful if you and anyone else testing the beta with version control systems could send us details on the VCS you are using. There appears to be a great degree of variance in performance between the systems. For example, the PushOK client for SubVersion appears to be very slow in some operations.

Please mail the details to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @).
Regards,

Private support:
gk

Unread post by gk »

Hello Tim,

very wise to look into it before you set it loose into the world :wink:

I've sent the information on the VSS to the address you mentioned.

Kind regards,
Gerwin
Tim Green
Site Admin

Gerwin, Richard,

You're both using Visual SourceSafe 6, which is very old -- I think it was last updated in 2002 (the current version is VSS 2005, MS has created a name salad yet again...). The software engineer working on the VCS integration says this is almost certainly the cause of the problem -- this old version is missing some important aggregated functions, and it will be necessary to handle a number of functions individually to cater to this.
Regards,

Private support:
gk

Unread post by gk »

Hello Tim,

that was what I feared for, VSS 6 being too old :(

so when we would be using VSS 2005, the problems would be solved?

Kind regards,
Gerwin
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Gerwin,

We're changing the VCS integration so that it will also work with VSS 6, but we would still generally recommend updating to VSS 2005 if possible. I suggest you wait for the official release of 5.3 before deciding, however. This should be in the next few days. :)
Regards,

Private support:
gk

Unread post by gk »

Hello Tim,

I've downloaded Version 5.3.0 build 1014 yesterday and modified a topic with a few words. I then saved the file and i took about 20 minutes for H&M to return from a non-responding state. I noticed that on the "save-command" it showed a dialog with "Getting <filename", and before entering the non-responsive state it viewed the topic-files which I hadn't modified. Why is it getting all the topic files instead of just saving the topic-file that was modified?

Refresh project takes about the same time for approximately 700 topics.

Kind regards,
Gerwin
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Gerwin,

This is probably necessary because of the limitations of the very old version of Visual SourceSafe that you are using -- I think your version was last updated in 2002. I'll ask the programmer responsible for VSS integration to have a look at your post as well.

Also: Does this only happen on first access or on every access?
gk

Unread post by gk »

Hello Tim,

thank you for the very, very fast response :)

We are looking into our old VSS version as well. But it is not something we can change very quickly. Are you sure upgrading to VSS2005 will overcome these performance problems?

Kind regards,
Gerwin
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Gerwin,

I can't promise this but so far these problems haven't been reported from VSS 2005 users. Please wait a while until I get some more information on this from Michael (our VCS developer), I hope to be able to provide more details then.
Regards,

Private support:
Michael Schwarzl

Unread post by Michael Schwarzl »

Hello Gerwin,

what help&manual does on project load and save / reread of project is:

> "Ask" VSS which files has been changed
> Get all changed files

Before we save a project, a reread is done to synchronize TOCs and load newer files to local directory.

It seems that VSS6 returns all files marked as changed files.
I'll install a VSS6 and check this out.

Regards,
Michael
-----------------------------
Michael Schwarzl
Senior Developer, EC Software